Newcastle United Target Marc Overmars Chooses To Continue At Ajax

Marc Overmars has decided to continue as Ajax’s director of football despite being heavily linked with a move to Newcastle United, according to The Athletic.

Newcastle are looking to bring in a director of football after they finalise the appointment of Eddie Howe as their new manager.

Overmars is believed to be their top target and the Dutchman has been heavily linked with a move to St. James’ Park.

His work at Ajax, in terms of player recruitment, has been widely praised and he is an in-demand football executive in the European game.

Newcastle were believed to be in touch with him, but it has been claimed that Overmars has decided to stay put at Ajax.

The 48-year-old is now happy to carry out his work at Ajax and has not taken things forward with Newcastle.

He is prepared to continue at Ajax and further build on his reputation as one of the most skilled football executives in Europe.

Newcastle still want a director of football and will now have to turn to other candidates in the coming days.

They failed to bring in their top choice Unai Emery as their new manager and it seems Overmars may have rebuffed their approach.

This article was originally posted here

Kieran Maguire: Newcastle in Premier League talks after ‘absolutely terrible’ claim

The Premier League have little option but to meet with Amnesty International in light of the Saudi-backed Newcastle United takeover.

That is the view of finance guru Kieran Maguire, speaking exclusively to Football Insider about human rights issues surrounding the new owners.

The recent £305million buyout was mired in controversy as a result of the Saudi state’s internationally condemned human rights record.


The Premier League will meet with Amnesty to discuss possible reforms to the owners and directors test, as reported by Sky Sports on 29 October.

Top-flight clubs recently passed new limits on related-party transactions which will curb the new owners’ ability to finance the club.

Maguire insists that the Premier League have been backed into a corner by the furore surrounding the Newcastle takeover.

“It has to be done,” he told Football Insider correspondent Adam Williams.

“The alternative is to refuse to speak to Amnesty International, which looks absolutely terrible.

“It’s appropriate given that it’s an issue which is in the public domain at the moment.

“The Premier League has introduced these fairly targeted rules with regards to related-party transactions which are clear as day are aimed at Newcastle.


“So they can say: ‘we are going to oppose sports washing and significant owner investment.’

But that’s hypocritical if you’re going to refuse to speak to people who speak up for areas of the world in which human rights have been marginalised.

This article was originally posted here

Willock tipped to dazzle under Howe as Newcastle pictures emerge – pundit

Paul Robinson has tipped Joe Willock to regain his place in the Newcastle United side under Eddie Howe.

Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, the ex-Premier League goalkeeper said he expects the 22-year-old to shine under new management following his “harsh” treatment under caretaker boss Graeme Jones.

Willock was an unused substitute in Saturday’s 1-1 draw at Brighton.

The centre-midfielder has been named on the bench for all three Premier League fixtures since Steve Bruce’s departure last month.

Across all competitions this season, Willock has made 10 appearances.

When asked by Football Insider for his assessment of Willock’s lack of game time, Robinson said:

“I don’t think you can make a judgement on any Newcastle players at the moment. There has been too much unrest at that club.

“Graeme Jones has come in and tried to put his stamp on the team and it’s been harsh on Willock.

“I think he is a top player who will shine under the new manager there.

“I think he is one of very few players who will still be at Newcastle in two or three years when they have got the millions and are signing top players.

“I really rate Willock. I think he is a brilliant young player.”

Eddie Howe watched on from the stands at the Amex Stadium on Saturday evening.

The ex-Bournemouth boss is expected to take the reins on a two-and-a-half year contract.

This article was originally posted here

Howe will be ‘upset’ with Jones after ‘strange’ Newcastle statement – Kenny

Eddie Howe may be upset that Graeme Jones is effectively being forced into his Newcastle United backroom staff.

That is the view of ex-Premier League goalkeeper Paddy Kenny, speaking exclusively to Football Insider about imminent changes at St James’ Park.

This site revealed on 5 November that manager-elect Howe is set to bring in four members of his own backroom staff.


Simon Weatherstone and Stephen Purches will join as coaches, while Dan Hodges is set to bolster the club’s fitness department.

Jason Tindall meanwhile will be named the club’s new assistant manager, replacing Jones who will take on the role of first-team coach.

As quoted by Chronicle Live on 3 November, Jones revealed: “I have been assured of my future at the football club.”

Kenny suggests that ex-Bournemouth boss Howe will be “upset” not to have complete autonomy when it comes to his staff.

He told Football Insider correspondent Adam Williams: “I’d be surprised if Eddie Howe doesn’t want to bring his own staff in.

“It’s a strange statement to come out with from Graeme Jones. These days managers want to get their own people in.

“I get why they want that because it’s hard to trust people in the game these days.


“I’m not saying for one minute that Jones can’t be trusted, but Howe will be upset with Jones and if he can’t get all his own people. That’s the way it is nowadays.

“It’s like Nuno who’s just been sacked by Tottenham, all his staff have gone with him.”

This article was originally posted here

Eddie Howe Would Welcome Liverpool DOF At Newcastle United

Incoming Newcastle United manager Eddie Howe would love to work with Liverpool sporting director Michael Edwards at St. James’ Park, according to The Sun.

The Magpies received a major blow in their attempts to appoint a new manager when Villarreal boss Unai Emery turned them down last week.

Newcastle, though, had former Bournemouth manager Howe in mind as an alternative option to the Spaniard and appear to have moved quickly to bring him in.

Howe is said to have reached an agreement with Newcastle over a two-and-a-half-year deal and was in attendance for their 1-1 draw with Brighton on Saturday.

While Newcastle appear to be close to announcing Howe as their new boss, they are yet to bring in a sporting director despite it being one of their top priorities.

Liverpool sporting director Edwards is one man that has been suggested as a potential option for Newcastle and it seems Howe would be happy to work with him.

Howe met Edwards during Liverpool’s Champions League match with Anfield on Wednesday and would love to work with him at Newcastle.

Edwards is said to have told Liverpool he will be leaving the club at the end of season and could be tempted by a move to Newcastle.

This article was originally posted here