Some Newcastle United fans have been reacting on social media after former Premier League referee Dermot Gallagher issued his verdict on a controversial incident from Saturday’s draw with Manchester City.
Steve Bruce’s Toon were able to keep a point at St. James’ Park against Pep Guardiola’s reigning Premier League champions, after goals from Jetro Willems and Jonjo Shelvey countered out strikes from Raheem Sterling and Kevin de Bruyne.
The result put another dent in the Sky Blues’ title defence, as they slipped further behind leaders Liverpool after the Reds beat Brighton & Hove Albion to open an 11-point margin between the two clubs.
City could have been 12-points down on Liverpool had we been able to take the win on Saturday, but our chances of doing such were reduced when referee Chris Kavanagh opted not to show Fernandinho a red card.
Fernandinho brought Javier Manquillo down just outside the Sky Blues’ penalty area while already on a yellow card, though Kavanagh did not feel the incident was worthy of a second booking.
Shelvey scored from the resultant free-kick routine, but playing against 10-men for the closing stages could have seen Bruce rally the troops to go for another win against one of last season’s top-six clubs.
It was not to be, and Gallagher has agreed with Kavanagh that Fernandinho should not have been sent off on Saturday.
“I think no second yellow,” he said on Sky Sports’ Ref Watch (Monday, December 2, 11:30). “I think he’s showing him the line, trying to ease him out with his body.
“I’d be very surprised if a player is sent off for a second yellow for that. You want to send someone off for an absolute yellow card.”
Should Fernandinho have been sent off?
No, it was just a foul
Here are some of the reactions offered as fans took note of Gallagher’s verdict from the controversial incident in our 2-2 draw with Manchester City…
He just makes his statements depending on which team he’s talking about. If it had been Manquillo on Sterling after his booking, he would have said exactly the opposite…
— David Moy (@MoyD59) December 2, 2019
All I’m reading is “he plays for Man City so no second yellow”… Its the most blatant second yellow I’ve ever seen…
— Ian McCartney (@beasty86) December 2, 2019
If he had been a Newcastle player or Burnley Brighton any team outside the top 6 off you would go
— Gordon (@GB4G) December 2, 2019
Another case of the top clubs getting favourable treatment. The commentary bias in this game was shameful.
— Scottie Talks Sports (@scottiesports) December 3, 2019
Pretty sure the ref even goes to his back pocket then realises and decides not to book him again. Lump on him scoring against Burnley this week!
— Filingcabinet (@Filingcabinet2) December 3, 2019
Because Man City are protected
— Robbo (@Robbo_the_rhino) December 3, 2019
In other Newcastle United news, a 5 ft 7 Toon man is keen to leave St. James’ Park.
This article was originally posted here