Well, another month of fixtures has come to a close, and we still don’t know what to expect from this team going forward.
October has been a pretty even month for Newcastle United, however. In the three games, we have one win, one loss, and one draw.
We’ve scored two goals and conceded two goals. Some would say we’ve been consistent while others would call it mediocre.
For the first two months this season, Fabian Schar claimed the player of the month polls both times.
This month there a few new faces to consider as three players have started all three matches who were not involved much in the previous two months.
Allan Saint-Maximin, Matty Longstaff, and Ciaran Clark are all up for consideration this month due to their outstanding displays over the past three matches.
We have put out our poll for the player of the month for October. The poll is limited to only those players who did well in the individual polls for each of the three matches. From those polls, the following five players are up for our player of the month for October:
- Ciaran Clark came in from the cold to replace Paul Dummett this month. He started all three matches making his Premier League debut in the Manchester United win. Clark has been an outstanding professional since rejoining the squad. His positional sense has been outstanding, and he has worked extremely well with left wing-back Jetro Willems.
- Martin Dubravka has again been very good for Newcastle. This month has been a special month for Martin as he just signed a new six-year deal last week. Martin was the winner of the best player poll in the loss at Chelsea a few weeks ago. He also helped to keep a clean sheet against Manchester United. However, Martin did make a mistake this past weekend against Wolves leading to the tying goal.
- Matty Longstaff made his Premier League debut for Newcastle United against Manchester United. He did so with a bang as he got his first goal for his hometown club to seal only our second win of the season. For that performance, Matty won the Man of the Match and our reader’s poll. He’s started all three matches this month and been a tireless presence in the midfield.
- Allan Saint-Maximin made his return from a hamstring injury against Manchester United. He too started every game this month and was voted the best player against Wolves. Saint-Maximin just missed out on winning the poll for the Chelsea match losing to Dubravka by only a few votes. He has been outstanding since rejoining the side. Allan has also been our most consistent player over the three matches this month.
- Fabian Schar was only able to feature in the Manchester United and Chelsea matches. He missed out this past weekend due to a knee injury. However, Fabian was again excellent in the first two matches this month. He came in a close second in the poll for the Chelsea match and was part of back three that kept Manchester United pretty quiet.
This article was originally posted here