After Newcastle United’s start to the season, it would be a big surprise should they not choose to strengthen their squad in the January transfer market.
The Magpies are definitely struggling going forward, and currently, sit in the relegation zone in the Premier League after only winning two games.
Those wins may have been impressive against Tottenham and Manchester United, but they are yet to score more than a single goal in one game so far.
Newcastle also have the joint-worst goalscoring record in the entire division and could do with more options in the final third given the struggles of both Joelinton and Miguel Almiron.
Steve Bruce has been linked with Hull City winger Jarrod Bowen in January [Chronicle], with the 22-year-old being identified as a prime target for the Magpies.
The Newcastle boss spoke about the club’s plans on Friday in his pre-match press conference before the Wolves game, and didn’t exactly sound confident about the transfer market.
“We’ll look at January and see what we need then but as I said repeatedly, January is a difficult month so we’ll concentrate on what we’ve got and see what we can do at the minute,” he said, as quoted on the Chronicle’s live blog (25/10, 09:32 am).
Everyone knows that January can be an awkward month when trying to bring in fresh faces, as other clubs don’t want to lose their better players in the middle of the season, with the possibility that they could struggle to replace them after sanctioning an exit.
Newcastle need to go all out in their efforts to strengthen their side though, as it could ultimately be the difference between them staying up or being relegated to the Championship.
It is clear they need reinforcements after the opening three months of the season, and Magpies’ fans could lack confidence in Bruce after his comments on the market.
This article was originally posted here