Dwight Gayle made his first appearance in over 17 months for Newcastle United on Saturday. His last appearance was also against Chelsea in the ultimate game of the 2017-18 season when Gayle scored in a 3-0 win at St James Park.
The Chronicle have a report that Gayle was upset after the match. He apparently was not too happy that Ciaran Clark went for Christian Atsu’s late cross. Gayle felt he was in a better position to attack the delivery.
However, Dwight will have been pleased to finally get back on the pitch after a frustrating calf injury held him out since pre-season. It seems that he has jumped in front of Yoshinori Muto in the pecking order as the Japanese striker has been left out of the team in favor of Gayle for the last two matches.
There was a lot of speculation this summer as to whether Gayle would still be a Newcastle player this season. There was interest from a number of Championship clubs for the 29-year-old’s services.
However, no deal was struck and Dwight has remained at the club to the delight of head coach Steve Bruce who seems to really rate him.
The Athletic’s Paul Taylor, who covers Nottingham Forest for the outlet, has a report that Forest could pursue a move for Gayle in the January window.
— Paul Taylor (@nottmtails) October 21, 2019
With Nottingham Forest short of striker options, the report says that Gayle could be brought in to pair with former Sunderland striker Lewis Grabban.
The 31-year-old has five goals this season but there are few other options in the position. Wolves loanee Rafa Mir has been injured since September but not featured in a game since late August.
We expect a number of clubs to show an interest in Gayle this winter. He is a proven commodity in the Championship when fit.
We are on the fence about Dwight Gayle at the moment. He only scored 6 goals in his last full Premier League season for Newcastle. Unless he can start to bag some goals over the next few months, it may be best to cash in on him.
He’s just turned 29 last week and his contract runs until 2021. He is not likely to get a new deal so maybe getting what we can for him in January and using the funds to help bring in another striker is the best option at this point.
He’s probably not going to fetch anywhere near the £20m bandied about in the summer though.
The Athletic’s Chris Waugh says that Steve Bruce is unlikely to sanction a move away for Gayle. But that is to be expected at this point as he’s barely seen Gayle until a few weeks ago.
Interesting – @nottmtails suggests #nffc could reignite their interest in Dwight Gayle this January. Given #nufc‘s goal-scoring woes, & Bruce’s admiration for Gayle, I’d say that’s unlikely at this stage https://t.co/UI7gOXAoDH
— Chris Waugh (@ChrisDHWaugh) October 21, 2019
We think a lot will depend on how Gayle fares over the next few months. If his opportunities are limited or he is unable to produce the goods, the club and the player might find it best to part ways in January.
This article was originally posted here