Report – Is Local Lad Who Left Two Years Ago Thinking Of A Return?

Lewis Gibson surprisingly left Newcastle United in July of 2017 to join Everton. It was a shocking move for the youngster who still admitted to being a supporter of his local club.

Newcastle were powerless to stop the then 17-year-old as he would not sign a professional contract. The club were able to recoup a decent transfer fee that could eventually rise to £6m.

At the time, the reason given for leaving was due to limited opportunities in the first-team. Gibson did not envision a pathway into the senior team under then-coach Rafa Benitez. This is what Gibson said in the Liverpool Echo after his move to Everton:

“We sat down and discussed what would be the best route for me to play first-team and make my debut competitively. I didn’t really think at the time that Newcastle was right for me and when I was told about Everton I knew the interest they put into me.

“They pushed for me a lot, compared to other clubs, and I felt like this was the right place for me to develop as a player.

“I’ve been proved right so far and I’ve been happy with my decision. I’ve developed a lot as a player. I imagined myself at Everton and knew there was a clear pathway.

“You see the players coming through, Dom, Jonjoe, Davo and people like that, and I knew there was a trust in young players.

“I knew that one of the main things Everton fans look for is for young players to come through. They want to see the next youth player go through. I’m just hoping to be one of them sooner rather than later.”

Gibson is two years into his stay at Everton but has yet to make a first-team appearance at Goodison Park. If he did leave for a chance at senior level football, he is not getting it so far at Everton. Gibson has only played for their Under-23s and not even been sent out on loan yet.

His initial three year deal at Everton now only has one year remaining on it.

The Daily Mail is reporting that Newcastle will try to tempt the 19-year-old to return Newcastle. They also are reporting on another reason that Gibson may have left two years ago.

The article states that Gibson had filed a complaint with the club about Peter Beardsley, and that was a driving force behind his move Everton. Beardsley has since been sacked and found to have racially abused some players while coaching the Newcastle Under-23s.

The article, however, does not specify what Gibson’s complaint was about. It does say that Gibson would be more willing to return to Newcastle now that Beardsley is no longer at the club.

While the report does not state this directly, Lewis could also be tempted to come back because of the emergence of Sean and Matty Longstaff into the first team. A place in the first team at Newcastle looks far more attainable now that it did two years ago. Steve Bruce also is open to giving a youngster an opportunity if he deems them ready.

Newcastle Under-23 striker Luke Charman was interviewed in the Chronicle on Tuesday and this is what he said about Steve Bruce’s appointment:

“It gives you real hope. As soon as Steve Bruce was appointed I knew that this was the best time – if ever there was one – to get a chance as a local lad.

“If the chance comes around you grasp it. But it is encouraging to see lads like Sean and Matty go up to the first team base and doing well.”

Lewis is still keeping track of recent events at Newcastle. This is what he tweeted about Matty Longstaff’s goal against Manchester United.

The Daily Mail pointed out that Gibson is still good friends with both of the Longstaff brothers. His older brother Liam is also still on the books at Newcastle. He is currently on loan at Grimsby Town until January.

We think it would be absolutely terrific if Newcastle could get Lewis back either in the summer or maybe for a reduced fee in January. He has not gotten a whiff of the first team at Everton, and we need to keep our promising local lads at Newcastle.

This article was originally posted here