The Sean Longstaff to Manchester United rumors are starting to take off again. The Red Devils are struggling in tenth place in the League table on nine points. If this form continues, they almost certainly will be players during the winter transfer window.
This summer Longstaff was repeatedly linked to the club that finished sixth last season. There were reports that a bid for the 21-year-old was imminent throughout the summer. With the Rafa Benitez saga fresh on everyone’s minds, there was a lot of fear that the prized youngster would be on his way if a bid was made.
However, it’s unclear if any bid was made as Manchester United were put off by Newcastle’s £55m valuation of the local lad. There were some reports that a bid of around £30m had been made and rejected late in the window.
Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer reportedly continues to be an admirer of Longstaff. Sean recently told the Times about the ongoing links to Manchester United:
“It’s not really something for me to comment on. It’s between the clubs.
“I was flattered to get my name mentioned in those conversations, but like my dad says, ‘sport’s got a funny way of dragging you back down to earth.’”
The Daily Star are now claiming that Manchester United plan a £40m bid in January for Sean Longstaff. The report says that executive vice chairman Ed Woodward plans on backing his manager in the winter window and that Solskjaer still would like to bring Sean in to strengthen the midfield.
The reports also says that due to the ongoing turmoil surrounding Newcastle, Woodward believes a bid of £40m would be enough to land Sean.
It’s convenient that this report is coming out as Manchester United are set to travel to St James Park on Sunday. We are taking these latest reports as nothing more than speculation. We don’t think Newcastle have any plans on selling Sean this winter.
Longstaff has also struggled to regain the form he showed during his run of games last year. He is still getting back to his best after the knee injury he suffered in March.
We don’t think that Manchester United will make Sean a priority signing this winter if they continue to struggle. We’re not even sure that Solskjaer is going to make it to January to be honest.
Sean was off the pace in his return to the pitch on Sunday against Leicester City. Sean had missed the previous two matches after overturning his ankle during training. It was a dreadful performance from the entire team and Sean looked very sluggish.
He was not happy with what transpired on Sunday. This is what he said about the performance:
“It’s embarrassing. It’s f*****g embarrassing. Sorry for swearing, but it is. There’s nothing else to say other than it’s embarrassing.
“As a team, that’s not good enough. You can talk about tactics, the way we were set up or how we didn’t set up.
“We must be much, much better and put it behind us and move on quickly. It’s a massive wake-up call. Hopefully, there’s no more days like that.
“The away fans travelled again. We should never put them in the position where they’re cheering just for the sake of it. It’s a tough one. The first half, we go a goal behind, but we’re still getting into some all right positions.
“The sending off kills the game, but still, the second half is embarrassing. It’s hard for the fans to take. It’s a Sunday night, late game, miles away from home. They were still singing at the end. We can’t thank them enough for what they bring.”
We are holding out hope that we will see both Sean and his brother Matty as the midfield pairing against Manchester United on Sunday. With Jonjo Shelvey injured and Isaac Hayden suspended, Bruce will have some decisions to make on who to bring into the side.
This article was originally posted here