With the international break nearing an end and things soon to start returning to normal at Newcastle, we are getting a better idea of when some of our players with long-term injuries will be returning to the fold.
One of the players whose timescale seems to be shifting and uncertain is Andy Carroll’s.
Steve Bruce said earlier in the week that he had hoped to have Andy Carroll go through a couple of weeks of full-training with the team before being called upon to make his return to action for Newcastle.
Last month it had been suggested that the trip to Anfield on Saturday was the target date for the return of big Andy.
Last night, the Daily Mail had reported that it was highly unlikely that Carroll would be ready to make the trip to Anfield this weekend. That assessment was in line with what Bruce had intimated about Andy needing two weeks of training before being under consideration for his return.
Carroll’s timescale is dependent on him returning to training. Well, Steve Bruce has spoken to the Chronicle and it looks like Andy has trained with the lads today. This is what Steve Bruce has said about the 30-year-old:
“Andy, we’ll have to still be patient. However, for the first time today, he joined in with the group to a degree. He only took part in half of the session, non-contact, but it’s good to see him out kicking a ball again.
“I always knew that it would be towards the end of this month and halfway through the next month really.”
That is excellent news that and another step in his recovery from April ankle surgery. We still think that Bruce should be ultra-cautious with the big man and it looks like he is going to be. We would be fine with Andy not returning until next month. The most important thing is that when he returns, he remains fit.
This article was originally posted here