These are the six former Newcastle United players who are currently free agents.
Hatem Ben Arfa – midfielder
- The 32-year-old played for Newcastle from 2010 to 2015. He initially joined on loan from Marseille before Newcastle bought him outright even though he was still recovering for a broken leg. When fit, Ben Arfa was a crowd pleaser but ultimately his maverick ways had him join Hull City on loan in 2014. It didn’t work out at Hull under Steve Bruce either for the enigmatic Frenchman. He was released in 2015 after making 86 appearances with 14 goals and 16 assists for the club. He was released from Rennes this summer.
Danny Simpson – right-back
- The 32-year-old joined Newcastle initially on loan from Manchester United in the summer of 2009. He ended up joining permanently in January 2010. Danny made 138 appearances for Newcastle and we remain his most represented club. He was released in the summer of 2013 when he joined QPR on a free transfer. Danny was released from Leicester City this summer where he won the Premier League title in 2017.
Vurnon Anita – midfielder/right-back
- The 30-year-old joined Newcastle from Ajax in the summer of 2012. Vurnon and free agent Romain Amalfitano were our only signings after we had just finished 5th and were about to embark on an Europa League run. Vurnon proved a versatile player and played both defensive midfield and right-back for Newcastle. He made 155 appearances before being released in 2017. Anita joined Leeds that summer where he just had the last year of his contract terminated by mutual consent.
Emmanuel Riviere – striker
- The 29-year-old joined Newcastle from Monaco in the summer of 2014. Riviere failed to make the grade in the Premier League and made only 31 appearances with 3 goals. He left on loan to Osasuna in the summer of 2016 before joining Metz in 2017. Riviere was released from Metz this summer.
Obafemi Martins – striker
- The 34-year-old joined Newcastle from Inter Milan in the summer of 2006. He became Newcastle’s new number 9 after Alan Shearer’s retirement. Obafemi made 104 appearances for Newcastle with 35 goals. Martins was sold to Wolfsburg in 2009 after our relegation from the Premier League. He was released from Chinese club Shangai Shenhua this summer.
Giuseppe Rossi – striker
- The 32-year-old joined Newcastle on loan from Manchester United in the summer of 2006. At the time, Rossi was a 19-year-old wonderkid who was born in New Jersey but chose to represent Italy internationally. He made just 13 appearances for Newcastle with only one goal against Portsmouth in the League cup. We always felt that Glen Roeder didn’t give Rossi much of a chance at Newcastle. He only started 3 Premier League games and ended up playing only 379 minutes in the league for Newcastle. He ended up going to Parma on loan for the second half of the 2006-07 season where he would score 9 goals in 19 appearances. Rossi was released from Genoa this summer.
This article was originally posted here