The Mirror are claiming that Steve Bruce has made his decision that Andy Carroll will not be returning to Newcastle this summer.
However, the evidence Ian Murtagh and Alex Smith use in their article is the comments Bruce made yesterday about having enough strikers at the club and wanting to keep Dwight Gayle.
Bruce says he’s not targeting strikers before deadline. “We’re OK in that department. I’ve got five there. Realistically, where can we improve on him? There’s one or two little areas where we can do something but it’s all about quality.”
— Mark Douglas (@MsiDouglas) August 3, 2019
We kind of felt these comments were in reference to buying a new striker prior to Thursday’s transfer deadline. The Mirror uses these comments and the fact that Newcastle have spent £60m on Joelinton and Allan Saint-Maximin as the factors in determining that Andy Carroll will not return.
The reporting coming from local journalists is that the club were open to having Andy Carroll back once he could prove his fitness. We are not sure if the Mirror have other information or are coming to this conclusion based solely on what Bruce has said and Newcastle’s transfer business so far.
We still think that there is a chance Andy Carroll can be brought back to Newcastle. It makes sense and fills a need in the squad. However the squad is large and if Steve Bruce sees Andy Carroll as too big of a risk to fill one of the 25 positions, then we can see the logic in that line of thinking.
This article was originally posted here