‘Legend’ – Gerrard predicted to reject Newcastle offer by pundit after Source reveal

Steven Gerrard will not quit Rangers in the immediate future, according to Gabby Agbonlahor.

Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, the ex-Aston Villa and England attacker insisted Gerrard “looks happy” at Ibrox and will not leave unless a perfect job comes up.

A Newcastle source told Football Insider (October 12) the Englishman was part of a three-man shortlist to replace Steve Bruce.


It is understood the Saudi-backed ownership is also looking at Leicester City’s Brendan Rodgers and Rafa Benitez who took over at Everton over the summer.

Newcastle finally parted company with Bruce earlier this week and his assistant Graham Jones is now in temporary charge.

Asked whether Rangers should be worried about Gerrard considering his future, Agbonlahor told Football Insider correspondent Connor Whitley: “Gerrard is always going to be linked with jobs because he’s done an outstanding job at Rangers and he’s a footballing legend.

“There’s always going to be linked with jobs. He’s not going to stay at Rangers for the rest of his managerial career.

“It will get to the stage where he’s going to leave, that will happen one day. I’m sure that he will make the right move. That might not be now but it will be in the future.

“He looks happy at Rangers, I’m sure he’ll stay there.”

Gerrard has been in charge of Rangers since the summer of 2018 and has a win rate of 64.5 per cent across all competitions.

He led the Glasgow giants to a historic 55th title with an unbeaten campaign last season.

This article was originally posted here

Graeme Jones Can’t Escape Newcastle Responsibility Feels Simon Jordan

Former Crystal Palace owner Simon Jordan has insisted that Newcastle United caretaker Graeme Jones bears responsibility for how poor the Magpies have been defensively this season.

Newcastle’s new owners have handed Jones the temporary reins at the club following the departure of Steve Bruce by mutual consent on Wednesday.

The majority of the Magpies faithful have received Bruce’s exit in buoyant mood and there have been suggestions the club are in good hands with Jones at the helm, even though it is on a temporary basis.

However, ex-Crystal Palace owner Jordan is not buying into the narrative that Jones is suddenly a ‘Messiah’ for the Tyneside giants and explained that he is in part responsible for the club’s struggles having been coaching the side along with Bruce.

Jordan stressed that Jones’ immediate responsibility is to get a result away at the Eagles at the weekend and steady the ship at Newcastle.

“Newcastle are a decent attacking side] but defensively they are dreadful and that is in part the responsibility of the coaching staff”, Jordan said on talkSPORT.

“So, how Graeme Jones gets this ‘messiah’ like status, when he is in part responsible for the coaching of that team is beyond me.

“But right now what his job is to do is try and get something out of Palace on Saturday.

“Try and go to Palace, get a result, something to build up on, give the new ownership a bit of breathing space so it does not become every moment of every day, who is going to be in there, we are in crisis, because they are not in crisis.”

Newcastle are still searching for their first win in the Premier League this season and it remains to be seen whether Jones can start his spell on a positive note with a win at Selhurst Park.

This article was originally posted here

Newcastle United Make Enquires About Argentine Tactician

Newcastle United have also made enquiries into the prospect of appointing San Jose Earthquakes coach Matias Almeyda as their new manager, it has been claimed in Italy.

The new Magpies owners are in the middle of the search for their first manager following the departure of Steve Bruce earlier this week.

Newcastle are deliberating over the profile of the manager they want to bring in given their current predicament and also their ambition to grow as a club in the coming years.

Unai Emery, Paulo Fonseca, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Lucien Favre and Roberto Martinez are all in the fray as Newcastle look to find the right candidate.

And according to Italian outlet Tutto Mercato, Newcastle have also probed the possibility of appointing San Jose Earthquakes head coach Almeyda.

The former Argentina midfielder is currently managing in the MLS and also has experience of coaching at South American clubs.

The 47-year-old is claimed to be open to crossing the Atlantic and coaching in the more competitive environment of the Premier League.

Newcastle are not shying away from looking at more left-field options apart from the established European coaches they are considering.

The Magpies are hopeful of bringing someone in soon as they look to move out of the Premier League drop zone.

This article was originally posted here

Newcastle ‘definitely considering’ £400m+ Campos after Jim White update – pundit

Luis Campos is one name “definitely under consideration” to become the new director of football at Newcastle United.

That is the view of former Premier League striker Kevin Campbell, speaking exclusively to Football Insider about the possibility of the 57-year-old joining the new regime at St. James’ Park.

Jim White told talkSPORT on Monday (18th October) he had contacted Luis Campos to assess his interest in becoming sporting director of the Magpies.


Interestingly, Campos told White he would rather not comment on the matter.

The Portuguese enjoyed great success as sporting director of Lille and AS Monaco and helped both win the Ligue 1 title.

When asked by Football Insider‘s Dylan Childs for his thoughts on Campos, Campbell said: “On paper, a great choice.

“His resume suggests he would do a top job but England is very different to France. There is a lot more competition and there is a different culture here.

” I’m sure he will be one of the names in the running because he has proven himself at the top level a couple of times.

“But, there will be some reservations. Perhaps the owners would rather go with someone who has knowledge of the English game.

“Campos is one name that will definitely be under consideration though.”

Campos generated combined profits of over £400million for Lille and AS Monaco through player sales.


Kylian Mbappe, Fabinho, Thomas Lemar, Bernardo Silva and Anthony Martial were all sold for sizeable fees after being found for nothing.

While at Lille he sold the likes of Nicolas Pepe and Gabriel to Arsenal for £90million.

This article was originally posted here

Newcastle tipped to sign ‘household name’ as rivals run scared – ex-manager

Alex McLeish has suggested Newcastle United have rivals running scared after clubs reportedly voted to block potential sponsorship deals.

The former Scotland boss, speaking exclusively to Football Insider, insisted the rest of the top-flight would be worried about the Magpies’ signing “household names” to climb the table.

As reported by the Guardian (18th October), 18 of the 20 Premier League sides voted through temporary measures preventing commercial agreements that involve pre-arranging relationships.


Only Newcastle voted against the proposal, while Manchester City abstained.

Clubs are reportedly afraid the takeover, backed by the Saudi Arabian Public Investment fund, would lead to lucrative sponsorship deals on Tyneside.

The temporary ban comes despite several top-flight sides previously agreeing what are known as related party transactions.

That includes Manchester City’s agreement with Etihad Airways, Leicester’s deal with King Power and Everton’s naming rights deal with USM Holdings.

McLeish insisted Newcastle would be targeting big-name transfer targets to bolster their side.

As such, he suggested the vote was an attempt to suppress their financial clout.

McLeish told Football Insider’s Russell Edge: “How many years have we been saying when is the sleeping giant going to wake up?

“Everybody concerned with Newcastle, you see the frenzy in the city. You see the fans are very excited about the future.

“They’re very excited about the household names that will come, surely. Who can blame them for that?

“That has alerted the other clubs, they’re thinking: ‘We could be dropping further down the table.’

“It’s competition and it’s time somebody like Newcastle showed their teeth again.”

Newcastle’s only signing during the summer window was Joe Willock from Arsenal.

The Magpies are also looking for a new manager after Steve Bruce’s departure on Wednesday.

This article was originally posted here